|The way sushi should be. Hungry yet? :P|
The application process is starting to creep into my life (and in a few months, will overtake my life) in some crazy ways. Out at happy hour Friday night, I called out a friend on an unstated assumption (critical reasoning, baby!). I’ve become that girl at the gym that ellipticals and runs (pun intended) through GMAT flashcards. In the morning when I wake and before bedtime, I try to look at the essay questions posed by my amorphous top 10 list of schools and think if I have new revelations or stories. I don’t think I’m obsessive, but I know that there’s a steep hill I need to climb, I'm a little late to the game, and once I set a goal, I’m going to pursue it doggedly until I get it :)
But then I decided to get serious…and bought the Manhattan GMAT series. Of course I refused to buy it full price from the official site – that is one of my main tenents of life Don’t pay full price when you don’t have to which is next to Don’t order sushi from a state that is as physically far away as possible from a major body of water.
According to the forum poster, I should be scoring 765. In order to be competitive with the top schools, I need to get a 700+, even more with my GPA (more on that in another post). My goal is 724, 700+ my lucky number of 24. I think I can do it. I KNOW I can do it :).
- Be alert during the exam, drink some coffee, pop some Trimspa for caffeine. whatever it takes.
- Do not guess the system, you will invariably lose. It’s like a casino.
- Pace yourself. Quant should take a little more than 2 minutes per question, verbal a little less. There are always shortcuts, take some time to decipher the question and your approach before diving in.
- Tune out distractions, especially if “H” is cracking their knuckles incessantly. Learn the ways of the basketball players at my beloved alma matter, who would be unfazed as ruthless, unclassy fans (yes I'm looking at you, Maryland and UNC) shouted obscenities in their face while shooting free-throws.
- Finally, eating beef jerky during the exam is a bad idea. It will distract you and make you hungrier. (Don't worry, I don't plan on snacking during the actual exam!)